This class is designed to familiarize young children from ages 6 months to 3 years old and their parents how to safely work with their child in the water. This class is not designed to teach children to become good swimmers or even to survive in the water on their own.
- No skill prerequisites
- Child must be at least 6 months old to enroll
- Parent or other caregiver must accompany each child into the water and participate in each class
- Learn to ask for permission before entering the water.
- Learn how to enter and exit the water in a safe manner.
- Feel comfortable in the water.
- Explore submerging to the mouth, nose and eyes completely.
- Explore buoyancy on the front and back position.
- Change body position in the water with support.
- Learn basic water safety rules and how to avoid water hazards around the home.
- Learn about the importance of wearing a life jacket and experience wearing one.
- Learn how to stay safe in, on and around the water, including knowing how to stay safe in the sun and how to avoid recreational water illnesses.
- Learn how to call for help and the importance of knowing first aid and CPR.