We look for talented, dedicated and responsible individuals to lead our TigerX classes and Personal Training services. MizzouRec’s Instructor Training will prepare you to take and pass your nationally accredited certification and help you feel comfortable in fitness and leadership roles, whether it be personal training, group fitness, yoga, Pilates, or cycling. Training is for anyone wanting to expand their fitness knowledge, but the courses also fulfill a requirement to be considered for employment as a fitness instructor at the MizzouRec
- Personal Trainer Prep Course
The Personal Trainer course helps you prepare for the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certified Personal Trainer Exam. This course takes you through the NASM textbook and reviews key topic areas including professional development and responsibility, client relations and behavioral coaching, basic and applied sciences and nutritional concepts, assessment, exercise techniques and training instruction, and program design. The course will prepare you to take the NASM Certified Personal Trainer exam, a computer based test; and is for anyone interested in becoming certified through NASM or is looking for a deeper knowledge of personal training practices.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Fee (Members) $89
(textbook and exam cost not included)
*link to discounted materials given to participants at the first class
Enroll at our Member and Guest Services Desk or online.
Spring 2024 Dates: Feb. 14- April 10
This course meets every Wednesday from 5-7pm inside MizzouRec. Course instructor will reach out to registered participants prior to course start. Class will not be held the week of Spring Break (March 27).
- TigerX Fitness Instructor Training (TigerFIT) Prep Course
Interested in becoming a Certified Group Fitness instructor? Learn how to teach a variety of fitness formats in our 8-week TigerFIT Prep Course. Led by experienced TigerX Instructors, this course prepares aspiring fitness professionals to take and pass the AFAA Group Fitness Instructor (GFI) Certification Exam, in addition to providing the hands-on experience and feedback needed to become a successful fitness instructor. Nationally certified exam not included in this fee.
Course Fee (Members): $89
(textbook and exam price not included)
*link to discounted materials will be provided at the first class
Enroll at our Member and Guest Services Desk or online
Spring 2024 Dates: Feb. 13-April 9
This course meets every Tuesday from 6-8 p.m in Legends Conference Room
Class will not be held the week of Spring Break (March 26)
Instructor Training Course members must adhere to all MizzouRec general facility guidelines and policies. Failure to comply with any MizzouRec policies could result in a range of disciplinary actions. Cases will be reviewed on an individual basis, however, singular offenses can be subject but not limited to verbal warnings and/or immediate removal or denial of entry to Instructor Training courses. Repeated offenses can be subject but not limited to written warnings, probationary periods, reimbursement for damages, and temporary or permanent suspension from all MizzouRec facilities/programs without refund. Additionally, depending upon severity of the situation, any violation of these rules could result in disciplinary action taken by the university, including the Office of Student Accountability and Care and MUPD.
- Members must show proof of course enrollment prior to first day of course. Members may enroll up to 1 week after the course starts, but the responsibility of making up missed content is on the individual member.
- Course enrollments are non-refundable & non-transferable.
- MizzouRec reserves the right to cancel courses due to low enrollment.
- Upon successful completion of the course, individuals are eligible to apply for our TigerX or Personal Training Position.
- Successful completion of the course does not guarantee you a TigerX Position, you would still have to apply through our Team Mizzou Recruitment Process and interview and audition for a position.
- Priority for hiring is given to TigerX Instructor candidates who can commit at least 3 academic semesters to teaching for the TigerX program.
- If hired, TigerX instructors must be certified by a nationally recognized certification agency by the end of their first semester teaching.
- The course is not a certification, nor for academic credit. Rather it prepares you to continue and prep for a National Certification.
For more information on the Fitness Programs Conduct Process, click here.