The Mizzou Aquatic Institute is pleased to bring an American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Course to the Mizzou Aquatic Center.
American Red Cross Lifeguarding instructors are authorized to teach the following Red Cross courses and presentations:
- Waterfront Lifeguarding (with basic-level certification in Waterfront Lifeguarding)
- Waterpark Lifeguarding (with basic-level certification in Waterpark Lifeguarding)
- Shallow Water Attendant
- Lifeguard Management
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Administering Emergency Oxygen
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission
- Water Safety Presentations
- Water Safety Today
- General Water Safety
- Home Pool Safety
- Basic Water Rescue
- GuardStart: Lifeguarding Tomorrow
With a self-orientation, Lifeguarding instructors are authorized to teach Safety Training for Swim Coaches. With a self-orientation, Lifeguarding instructors also are authorized to teach basic-level CPR and AED courses in the American Red Cross Lay Responder First Aid and CPR/AED programs. For more information
on these orientations, contact your local Red Cross chapter.
No Courses Scheduled at this time
Participants must be certified in lifeguarding/CPR/AED/FA prior to attending this class. Lifeguard instructor candidates must be at least 17 years of age and demonstrate strong swimming skills, including swimming 300 yards continuously, treading water for 2 minutes without using hands, and completing a timed object retrieval in 7-10 feet of water.
To be eligible for two-year certification, you must attend all class sessions, demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities, and pass the final written exam with at least 80 percent. Successful participants will receive certification allowing him/her to instruct the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course at facilities authorized by the American Red Cross.
What to Bring
- Lifeguard Instructor Manual (can be purchased in advance on our website for $36-$40 or can be printed out and put in a 3-ring binder)
- Appropriate swimwear
- Dry change(s) of clothes
- Goggles (yes, they are required)
- Deck footwear
- Snacks/Meals (breaks provided to leave and dine elsewhere)
- Proof of lifeguard certification
- State-issued photo ID
Please contact Aquatic Coordinator Chris Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.