The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. This course will follow the 2017 American Red Cross Lifeguarding curriculum.
Course Length: 20 Hours In-Person and 7 Hours eLearning
Course Price: $195, $155 (for current Mizzou Students)
- You must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session
- You must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Swimming skills will be tested on the first day of class. Skills must be completed in order to continue. No exceptions and no refunds due to failure to complete prerequisites. This is a blended learning course meaning that there is both in-person and eLearning involved. You must have access to the internet in order to complete the eLearning section. If the eLearning section is not completed the student will receive an ‘Unsuccessful’ evaluation for the course and no refunds will be given.
Course Requirements: Participants must attend and participate in all subsequent sessions (*if applicable) including eLearning, class room work, and skills practice. To receive the associated certification, participants must satisfactorily demonstrate all Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR skills as well as pass the course written exam with at least a score of 80%.
Certification received upon fulfilling course requirements (valid 2 years): Lifeguard, First Aid CPR for the Professional Rescuer
Spring 2023 Course Schedule:
Schedule available January 2023
Please contact Aquatic Coordinator Alyssa Bradley at email@example.com for more information.