Rothwell Gymnasium is completed and dedicated. Named after G.F. Rothwell of Moberly Missouri, Rothwell Gymnasium has served the MU campus for over a century. G.F. Rothwell was President of the MU Board of Curators from 1890-1894. The building was constructed for a cost of $69,000. Additions were completed in 1939 and again in 1959. (Today, the exterior wall of the 1939 addition is still visible along Hitt Street.) Its primary purpose was to serve as a men’s physical education and athletic facility. Men’s Physical Education classes and college athletic contests took place in the gymnasium, as well as all-school special events and concerts.